Monday, 14 March 2016

The Splendid Sampler: Block Nine and Practice! Practice! Practice!

Yesterday was the release of the ninth block for The Splendid Sampler.  I am so enjoying this challenge and I am pleased with myself that so far I have kept up with making all the blocks as they are released.  I know there is no real pressure to make them as soon as they are released but, I also know that if I don't keep up and fall behind by too many, I will stop and I am enjoying it far too much for that!!




Block nine is a darling little block called 'Local Quilt Shop' and was designed by Jane Davidson.  I used more scraps to piece it and, although some of the pieces were small, I took my time and it went together very smoothly.  I am delighted with the finished block.



As well as my Splendid Sampler blocks I have also been practising my free motion quilting once again.  Every year I seem to get this itch to try and perfect this technique and slowly each time I start again I can feel and see an improvement.



I have been following some Craftsy classes to help me and the teacher, Christina Cameli, is really encouraging and helpful both through the online classes and answering any questions that  you send her a message about.



Last year I worked my way through several of the class exercises and I was pleased with the results.  Now, I have taken up where I left off and I am in the process of completing the exercises from the next lesson.



In between, I have also tried out a couple of practice pieces from Christina's book 'First Steps to Free Motion Quilting' and I am planning to try and complete the sampler quilt from the book over the course of this year.  Should get plenty more practice doing it!!



I have updated my FMQ Diary page with my latest efforts and will continue to do so through the year.  It is quite pleasing to be able to see the progress I am making.  I am happy to say it does look as though things are improving!!



NB. I am not affiliated with Craftsy or Christina Cameli but I am determined to perfect my FMQ and I am thoroughly enjoying the classes!

28 comments:

  1. My goodness Christine - you never cease to amaze me with all the projects you are working on! Free motion is something that eludes me, but then again I have never put in the practice time so it's no wonder. Love your latest block, btw!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary Anne.... Every year I promise myself that this will be the year that I get to grips with free motion.... perhaps this year will be the year!! Christine x

      Delete
  2. Your blocks are really lovely, Christine and I love the stitched addition to the shoppe!
    Your machine quilting looks great!
    Hugs martina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martina! This was such a cute little block and I really enjoyed making it! Christine x

      Delete
  3. I think this is my favorite block yet! (Although Snug as a Bug and the heart blocks are also favorites.) Your FMQ looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Renee! I really enjoyed making this block... it is one of my favourites too! I think I am finally making a break through with the FMQ! Christine x

      Delete
  4. Dear Christine
    what a lovely block!!! Very, very nice. And the fabrics keep all the blocks together.
    Your FMQ also looks "wow"!!!
    Hugs
    sigisart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sigrid! I think this block is a firm favourite and finally I think the FMQ is improving!! Christine x

      Delete
  5. I love your little quilt shop Christine. Your quilting is looking great. Hugs, Christine xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine! I love this block and it was fun to piece! Christine x

      Delete
  6. Loving the fabrics and colours you are using for the sampler - your work is so beautiful - this is a very very cute little block xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenny! It it nice that the blocks are small so that it is easy to use up scraps! Christine x

      Delete
  7. Your blocks are looking lovely, Christine! Such pretty fabrics too!
    And you are obviously perfecting the FMQ! All very pretty!
    Barbara xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barbara! I loved making this little block. I think I am finally turning a corner as far as the quilting goes! Christine x

      Delete
  8. Liebe Christine,
    wieder so ein schöner Block und die Zusammenstellung sieht klasse aus. Deine freien Quiltblöcke sind super.
    Liebe Grüße
    Monika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monika! I am very happy with the progress I am making with the Splendid Sampler blocks and the free motion quilting! Christine x

      Delete
  9. Hi Christine,wow i am sure loving your blocks,well done xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shez! I am really enjoying the Splendid Sampler Challenge! Christine x

      Delete
  10. a lovely house and I am impressed with your FMQ I struggle with quilting but yesterday managed to quilt a mini quilt with a walking foot and the stitches were all the same size so slowly getting there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret! Quilting does take a lot of time and practice and finally after years.... I think I am starting to turn a corner! Christine x

      Delete
  11. Awesome progress! Love the house block so cute - might have to do it myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The house block is really sweet and that is the beauty of the Splendid Sampler blocks you don't have to make them all... just make the ones you really like! Christine x

      Delete
  12. Another lovely block Christine and the FMQ is coming along great. I do so want to learn this also but am still waiting for my quilting foot to arrive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheryl! Every year I have a go at improving my FMQ but this year I really feel that I have made a break through! The key is definitely plenty of practice!! Christine x

      Delete
  13. I think that might be my favorite block yet - so cute! You are doing very well on your FMQ. Do you ever have any "eye-lashing" on the back? That is my biggest issue and "fear of eye-lashing" is what keeps me from doing it on any of my quilts. I know I just need to practice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda! I love this block too. I have had 'eyelashing' but it is easily corrected as it is a tension problem rather than something you are doing wrong with the quilting itself. You usually need to make the top tension higher. Christine x

      Delete
  14. Hello Christine

    I know i repeat myself. but this is a beautiful quilt. I love it

    Kind regards Marika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marika! They are such pretty little blocks.... still lots to go too! Christine x

      Delete

Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving me a comment. It is lovely to hear from you and very exciting to read what you have to say!! I will always try to reply to your comment by email but if you are a 'No-Reply' Blogger and I can't, do check back here again as this is where I will reply to any comments that have been left.