Tuesday, 21 June 2016

The Splendid Sampler: Blocks 36 and 37 and some FMQ...

Here are my two latest blocks for The Splendid SamplerThe first is block 36 which was designed by Jane Davidson and is called 'Inchy Hexagon Club'.  It is a really cute little block made up of six hexagon flowers which are made using English paper piecing.  The wreath of flowers is then appliqued to the background.  I had a lot of fun piecing this block.



The next block was block 37 which was designed by Laura Flynn.  It is called 'Dashing by Chocolate' and was a nice straight forward block to piece. I have always liked the churn dash block and the flying geese units added an extra twist.


As well as my Splendid Sampler blocks I have also been practising some more free motion quilting techniques.  This time from a Craftsy class taught by Lori Kennedy of The Inbox Jaunt.


Lori shares lots of hints and tips about free motion quilting on her blog and one day last week she shared photographs of a beautiful little quilt that she had made using an 'orphan' block.  She had quilted it beautifully (as she always does) and one of the quilting elements was a technique which she calls 'grid pop' and which I wanted to try.  She has a tutorial on her blog for it here.


I made up my own block and quilted it in a similar way.  I had originally added another border but the quilting on it didn't work out as I had hoped, so I trimmed it off and just bound the central part.


I was really pleased with this little quilt and the texture that the quilting gives.  I want to make another one now!


28 comments:

  1. Wow! Ich bin total begeistert von deinen Quiltarbeiten! Die sind toll geworden!

    Gruß Marion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marion! I am so pleased with the quilting! Christine x

      Delete
  2. What beautiful blocks! An your quilting is amazing - thanks for the link to the Inbox Jaunt - had a look - how amazing is her quilting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Lori Kennedy does some fabulous quilting and she is very generous with sharing her tutorials! Have a lovely day! Christine x

      Delete
  3. You are the perfect Splenderette - you have all the skills for all the blocks. Love the quilting. It is fascinating. I sometimes quilt around the fabric pattern on little items - it is good fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amanda! I have really been enjoying the SS Challenge and I love experimenting with the quilting! Have a good week! Christine x

      Delete
  4. I understand why it is called "grid pop" it firmly comes up in the picture and it is a very pretty little quilt. Will you make all the sampler blocks? There are many different techniques to do, you will be an expert quilter once you get done.
    KATRIN W.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katrin! I am not sure if I will manage to make all the sampler blocks, now that we have to move house I can see that I will fall behind.... I will see! Christine x

      Delete
  5. Hi Christine ,such beautiful work,I so enjoy seeing what you get up to,well done my friend ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shez! I love trying the free motion quilting on little quilt projects! Christine x

      Delete
  6. The block that you made up looks like a beautiful ceramic tile. Just gorgeous.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cathy! I was thrilled that it turned out so well and it is beautifully tactile because of the texture! Christine x

      Delete
  7. I love the texture you have achieved with the quilting, I might have to try that.I hope the house hunting is going well...Doti x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Doti! The quilting was a lot of fun... can't wait to make another small quilt! Christine x

      Delete
  8. More beautiful blocks and I love, love, love the texture your quilting added to your little quilt. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Renee! It was a lot of fun to stitch and I can't wait to make another quilt now! Christine x

      Delete
  9. Amazing how much texture the quilting adds! I can't help but notice how cleverly you have played with this printed flower! FMQ really takes the work to another level. Have a nice week!! Ariadna.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ariadna! The flower was perfect for quilting in the centre and I love how the quilting has made it pop! Christine x

      Delete
  10. Love your little churn dash. I missed seeing that pattern. Churn dash blocks always make my heart skip a beat. It is probably my favorite quilt block. Your free motion quilting is stunning on your little block. Thanks for sharing. Janita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janita! I love churn dash blocks too and it is a lovely block to piece! I love my little 'grid pop' quilt... thank you! Christine x

      Delete
  11. Oooh - that quilting pattern would be perfect for a crazy quilt block (I know - my mind always thinks in terms of crazy quilting!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary Anne! I think it would be a good combination with crazy quilting too! Christine x

      Delete
  12. Stunning quilting - really striking effect!
    Any luck finding a new home?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lyn! Saw something promising today... waiting to hear back from the agents.... fingers crossed! Christine x

      Delete
  13. WOW Christine. Your FMQ looks fantastic. I love your little hexagon block.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine! I am really enjoying the FMQ and the regular practice has certainly helped a lot! Christine x

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. Thank you Heather! I really enjoyed the quilting! Christine x

      Delete

Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving me a comment. It is lovely to hear from you and very exciting to read what you have to say!! I will always try to reply to your comment by email but if you are a 'No-Reply' Blogger and I can't, do check back here again as this is where I will reply to any comments that have been left.