After adding the applique shapes to the altered background, I set about free motion embroidering over the applique shapes to add detail and definition to the shapes. This is not as easy as it sounds.
I originally added the detail to the seed heads in a green thread to match the fabric that I had used for the applique which looked quite nice to start with.
However, once I had added the details to the leaves in brown,
I then added some extra details, including the butterflies and the sequin 'berries' and I am really happy now with the end result. So happy in fact, that I started another quilt made in a similar way.
This one I pieced together using some lovely hand-dyed fabrics which I bought from the In Stitches Studio. They are just perfect for making this sort of quilt. I then quilted the background with wavy lines using my walking foot.
Then the fun started!! I added some simple 'poppy' applique shapes, including a bud and some seed heads and then filled in the details using free motion embroidery.
Finally, I added some hand stitching to complete the centres of the poppies and the flight paths of the butterflies.
I am really enjoying exploring these techniques and can't wait to get started on my next project!!
Thank you for visiting and I hope you have a creative week!