Yes, I am excited to show you my finished Metro Tiles Quilt!!! This is a pattern designed by Gourmet Quilter which I have adapted slightly. Partly intentionally and partly out of necessity!! I finished this earlier today and I am so pleased with it! It used a QAYG method which I was not familiar with and there were a few learning curves but, I am really happy with the final quilt. Here is the front....
And here is the back....
Which I am pleased with too as I love all the beautiful batik fabrics. Poppy thought it needed comfort testing!! (It passed!!)
I thought long and hard about how to bind the quilt as I wanted to used the same fabric that I had used for the 'grouting' between the tiles but I didn't have enough of it left to make traditional binding with it. So, I decided to use some leftover grouting strips which had fusible web on one side.
Instead of trimming off the quilt top as you would when adding traditional binding, I left the seam allowances of the border blocks in place but made sure they were an even width. Then I stitched a 'grouting' strip to the back of the quilt back. The right side of the 'grouting' (ie non sticky side) was placed against the back of the seam allowance of the outer edges of the border blocks. Then I flipped it over and fused the grouting in place on the front of the quilt.
I then finished the raw edge with a zigzag stitch as I had for the 'grouting' in the rest of the quilt. It gave me a nice finish on the front which matched the rest of the quilt and a lovely neat finish on the back.
So excited to have this quilt finished!! Happy Halloween and until next time.... 😊 xx