Friday 7 June 2019

Making progress with my nautical quilt....

Today I thought I would show you the progress I have made with the nautical quilt that I had started cutting the fabrics for in my last post.  



This quilt is from the lovely book 'Nautical Quilts' by Lynette Anderson.



I've been trying to work on it for at least a small amount of time each day and, I have been making good progress.  I started by piecing together the little squares of fabric you can see in the photograph above.  These form small joining sections between the larger appliqué blocks which form the central part of the 'All Aboard Quilt' from the book.



Next I worked on the bottom left section which was four little appliqué fishes.



To the right of these was the next block that I worked on which was an appliquéd seagull.  I joined it to the fishes block using some of the little joining squares which I had pieced together.



Next came an embroidered compass block and another appliqué block this time of a lifebuoy. 




They were also joined with a pieced section of little squares.  Next was my favourite block (so far) to stitch.... the sail boat.  It was lots of fun to put this together and add all the little embroidered details.



Once this block was finished I was able to piece together the rest of the central panel of the quilt. That's as far as I am for the moment but, I have some appliqué pieces all cut out ready to be added across the top and down the right-hand side.  This is such a fun quilt to make and I'm hoping to get to work on it some more over the weekend.



Hope you all have a lovely weekend!

7 comments:

  1. This does look like a fun quilt! I love the seagull that obviously just caught his dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Christine, it’s coming along so nicely! Your fabrics were made for this quilt. Can’t wait to see it grow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those pieces are really pretty, especially love the seagull, and I love your fabrics. Hope you get to sew this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These blocks are so cute--love all the little details in them and your stitching is perfection! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sehr schön sind die Blöcke geworden. Viele kleine Details lassen sich entdecken. Da hast Du schon sehr viel geschafft. Toll. Liebe Grüße und ein schönes Pfingstwochenende
    Monika

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely work Christine, I like the colour fabrics you have chosen and all the tiny details you add to your blocks, especially the sail boat

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how you have pieced the quilt together as you go. I really need to try that so I don't just end up with a lot of completed blocks sitting in a box lol.I looove the seagull and the yacht looks awesome with the detailed sails. I can see why you are enjoying it. Well done gurl!

    ReplyDelete