I am finding it hard to believe that we are in November but, it seems that we are. Over the weekend we had dreadful weather where I live but that gave me the opportunity to start a new project!
It is a different type of quilt as you go pattern in as much as not only do you quilt the blocks as you go but, you also construct the quilt top as you go too as the sashing is also appliquéd to the quilt top.
It is an appliqué quilt which uses the fusible appliqué method. The pattern suggests a free motion raw edge finish to the appliqué but I have decided to finish the appliqué pieces with a narrow zig zag stitch. (Given the complexity of some of the appliqué designs, I might be regretting this decision but we will see how I get on!)
The pattern doesn't call for any quilting in the setting triangles at the end of each diagonal row of blocks but I decided that I would add some straight line quilting to them.
This decision was partly made because the pattern uses fusible batting (wadding) but I didn't have any so I have been basting the block fronts to the batting and backing before quilting instead.
I thought some quilting in the triangles would help stabilise them as I put the blocks together.
So far I have completed the first block and put it together with the side setting triangles and corner triangle.
I have fused the next three appliqués to their background fabrics and basted them to the batting and backing ready to be quilted.
I am hoping to get to work on this next row this afternoon.
Hope you all have time for some creativity this week. Until next time..... 😊