I started by cutting out the background fabric and tracing the embroidery and applique shapes as directed by the pattern. However, what I didn't realise was that my printer settings were 'fit to page' settings rather than at 'actual size' settings when I printed the pattern meaning that they were considerably smaller than they should have been.
I spent a very trying evening peeling the tiniest pieces of fusible web paper off the applique shapes and fusing them to the background fabric only to read the next part of the pattern and discover that the patchwork pieces were not going to fit with the applique design. There are a couple of lessons to be learned here.... to read through all the instructions before you start and.... to make sure when you print patterns from the internet that they are at the correct size!!
It wasn't difficult to correct the sizing problem by enlarging the patterns using the photocopier function on the printer but, it did mean that I had to start again from scratch. They have been a lot of fun to work on. I loved hand finishing the applique shapes and stitching the embroidery. I also enjoyed doing a little simple machine quilting on them.
I have finished these two cute little mug rugs now and, although I had thought that I would let them be a surprise for my swap partner, a lovely lady from Oklahoma called Denise, I just can't resist showing them to you.
You can see from the photographs below the difference in scale between the finished mug rugs and those I had originally started.
The finished mug rugs are going in the post first thing on Monday morning along with a few other little gifts for Denise which will be a surprise for her!! I hope she likes them all!!
If I have the patience, I may still finish off the two tiny versions.... I think they will be really dinky!!
Enjoy a wonderful weekend! xx