Since finishing my CQJP block for January 2015, I have been thinking about what to do for the next block. I wanted to have the base block ready to start embroidering as soon as February begins and, as I have a number of other projects I am also working on, I thought that when I had a few spare minutes I should get the base block prepared. I have been looking on the internet for crazy quilt block inspiration and I keep coming across blocks which have the Dresden Plate design but, have been embroidered and embellished in crazy quilt style. This look really appeals to me and, I decided that for my February CQJP block I would make a Dresden Plate block to embellish.
I have used the same Tilda fabrics that I used in my January block so that the blocks will coordinate nicely in the finished quilt. I selected five to make the 'petals' of the plate and then selected a different fabric for the centre circle and another for the block background.
This time round, as I have learned from my online Basic Crazy Quilt Course run by Kathy Shaw, I now know that it is very important for crazy quilt blocks to be stabilised while you are working the embellishment on them, to give them extra support. So, once I had made my Dresden Plate, I pinned it to the background fabric ready to be hand appliqued in place and then I sewed the background fabric to a piece of muslin. The muslin helps to support the block but also enlarges the piece of background fabric so that you can hoop it up in a larger hoop which does not have to be moved around during the embellishment process.
Now I am looking forward to starting the stitching!