You may recall that I recently started work on a cushion cover for the rocking chair in my conservatory and, that I had used a new (to me) technique called raw edge applique. Well, I have now added quite a lot of embroidery detail to my cushion cover and it is really starting to look how I want it to.
I have chain stitched all the flower stems, added the word 'Fleurs' (also in chain stitch) and scattered a few french knots here and there. I chain stitched the body and antennae on the butterflies and the stamens in the flowers and then I outlined all the stitching and the applique shapes with running stitch. All the embroidery was done through a layer of batting on the back of the cushion front, so it has quilted the two layers together.
Overall, I am pleased with how it is looking although, I keep feeling that the background is lacking a certain 'je ne sais quoi' . I have tried adding all sorts of extra embroidery including lazy daisy flowers in cream silk thread to try and create a subtle effect and french knots but, I took them all out again as I didn't like them.
Then suddenly, it occurred to me that the perhaps the effect I am looking for could be achieved by some free motion quilting in the background to make the applique stand out more and, I would get to practise my FMQ stitching on a real project.
So far, I have stitched some more little samples of FMQ stippling which are looking quite neat but, I haven't summoned up the courage to stitch it on the actual cushion front yet!! I'll report back here when I have!!