The last couple of days I have been busy finishing off the embroidery and quilting on my second little embroidered block. I shared the start of the block with you on Monday. It is now finished and I am really pleased with the end result.
I decorated the block with the embroidery design given in the pattern by Mountain Patchwork and which appeared in the latest issue of Simply Vintage Magazine and added some buttons in the same way.
I machine quilted the centre of the block using a straight line spiral which I stitched with the walking foot of my machine.
I also prepared both the log cabin block and the previous nine patch block for framing. I started by trimming up the outer edges of the fabric and batting. I then trimmed up the batting only to approximately half an inch smaller (at each edge) than the fabric of the finished block. Next I cut a square piece of card roughly an inch smaller than the finished block. This square of card should end up the same size as the batting on the back of the block.
The block was then placed face down and the card lined up on top of the batting. I ran a line of glue close to the edge of one side of the card and folded the extra fabric from the block over to the back and stuck it down. I repeated this on the opposite edge and then the two remaining edges making sure that the corners were neat and that the fabric of the block remained taught. To finish I taped over the raw edges on the back to neaten them.
The blocks are now all finished and waiting for their frames! Yay!!
Thank you for visiting and have a lovely weekend!!