This weekend I wanted to get January's pattern made as it is only a few days before Anne will be publishing February's pattern.
I had already decided that instead of making the heart ornaments I was going to use the pattern to make a quilt block each month so that I will have 12 blocks which I can make into a quilt at the end of the year.
I started by following the instructions to applique the snowman to the red background fabric. I chose to use a fusible web to applique the fabric shapes in place and, once I had done this, I finished all the raw edges with a hand stitched blanket stitch. I then added the embroidered arms, the halo and the facial features.
Then, instead of sewing the heart-shaped red background fabric together with the backing fabric to make it into an ornament, I used some more fusible web to fuse the heart to a piece of cream background fabric. I finished the raw edges of the heart with a hand worked blanket stitch. I thought it would be nice to add a couple of embroidered words to the background, so I embroidered the words 'January' and 'Snow'.
Next, I trimmed the cream background fabric to the size I wanted (8" x 6" finished) and added some 'flying geese' patchwork units to one side, some two inch squares to the other and a couple of strips of fabric to the top and bottom. The block now measures 12.5 inches (unfinished) square.
I am looking forward to February's pattern now, so that I can make the next block! Thank you Anne for the wonderful patterns!