This weekend I have been working on finishing up my Gail Pan 'Hazel' bag which I started at the workshop I attended last weekend in Barrowford. I finished all the hand work on the front panel during the week, so only needed to cut the fabrics for the bag, applique the panel to the front and then construct the bag.
I started by appliqueing the panel to the fabric for the front of the bag. As I had embroidered around the applique shapes featured on the panel itself (to hide my wobbly needle-turn applique) I decided to embroider round the panel too.
The bag front was layered with some batting and I added a row of quilting (as described in the pattern instructions) Next, I added the ric rac, which I couched onto the front using colonial knots rather than just slip-stitching it over the seam. This is a technique which Gail used in another of her projects that I made and I really liked the look of it, so I thought I would add it here too.
Then I constructed the handles and made up the bag all as per the pattern instructions adding a cute little toggle for the closure. It just needed one final press and it would be done but, disaster struck!! My iron choose that moment to spit out some horrible dirty water right onto the panel on the front of my bag! This is what the ironing board looked like....
I quickly sponged the dirty water off the bag and hung it up to dry with my fingers crossed that it wouldn't leave a stain! I was lucky and it dried without a mark.... disaster averted!!
I am very pleased with my new bag. I am hoping to get my other workshop project finished this week.
I am linking this post with Super Mom - No Cape for her stitchery link up. Why not pop across and see the other projects that have been linked.