The bulk of the picture was sewn using freehand machine embroidery techniques. However, when it came to adding some of the floral details, I decided to add some silk ribbon embroidery which I stitched by hand.
Although I am really pleased with the overall look of the piece (these photos don't really do it justice) hand stitching was perhaps not such a wise thing to have done. The background is made up of lots of layers of fabric and has more fabric appliqued over the top and then the whole is machine stitched (quite densely in places) so because of this, it is extremely difficult to pass a hand sewing needle through from back to front to complete any hand stitching.
I have managed to add all the details that I wanted to such as the geraniums in the window boxes and the climbing plants on the trellis and pergola but, it was hard work and my fingers were extremely sore at the end of it!! Next time I think I will add the details with the sewing machine too!!
It was worth the effort though as I am really happy with the finished piece. (If you click on the individual photos you get a larger version of them and can see more detail.) Below are a couple of the photographs of the actual Chalet which I was using to work from.