This was a new stitch to me and, before adding some to my sampler I made several practice attempts on a very scruffy piece of fabric which had previously been used for free motion quilting practice (among other things) and which has now been thrown away! It gave me the chance to decide how far apart the initial three straight stitches needed to be to give the look that I liked best when I pulled them together with the twisted chain stitch.
Once I was happy, I added a couple of rows to my sampler. I used a variegated silk thread which I thought gave a very pretty effect. The first row I stitched in a straight line but for the second row I staggered the groups of straight stitches to give a zig zag effect.
I found this quite a difficult stitch to get looking nice but, I am sure with practice it will get better. Tension definitely plays an important part! I enjoyed learning it and I think it would be a perfect addition to a crazy quilt block seam.... I may just add one to my December CQJP block!
I also used up the thread that I had left in my needle after I had finished stitching to fill in some gaps between my French knots with some straight stitch seeding. It was an area of my sampler which I wasn't very happy with. I like it much better now! (Sorry the photo is a bit fuzzy!)