Before I added the new stitch to the sampler, I drew an outline of the area I am going to fill with stitches and, as I did with my last sampler, I embroidered the outline using a variegated cotton floss and the stem stitch.
The buttonholed cable chain stitch is worked in two parts. The first is a line of cable chain stitches which I stitched using a pale apricot perle cotton (8). I forgot to take a photo of my cable chain stitches this time round so, this photo is from when I stitched a row as an earlier TAST stitch.
The second is the buttonholing of the chain stitches which I did using my preferred variegated fine silk thread in a orangey-red tone.
When the buttonhole stitches have been added all that you can see of the cable chain stitch underneath are the joining stitches between the 'links' of the chain. I have decided on a design for the new sampler but, you'll have to wait until I have added a few different stitches before it will be apparent!